Thursday, April 22, 2010

I can borrow this bed, right?

After an initial observation period, we've let little Miss Personality have a little more freedom in the house and she's doing great. Like probably every new Greyhound I've brought into my home, she seemed worried the first time I let her loose. She had to run around investigating everything, smelling everywhere. But after hanging out here for a couple of days she seems to be okay with where she's at…and okay with helping herself to a comfy spot, even if it's not hers.

Sara & Grayson, our two resident hounds, haven't been bothered by her at all, nor does Allie seem worried about them. Grayson gets along with everyone but almost all our fosters have been males, and you can see his reaction to them in his body language: you're OK, but I'm the head dog here…and he's kind of quivery as he adopts this posture. No such attitude from him with Allie. Sara in the past has been most insecure with the females. Again, no worrisome signs here.

Allie's eating very well, so I think she will regain her weight at a good pace. I could probably feed her three meals a day and she wouldn't complain, but we don't want to overdo it. She finished up the last of her post-dental antibiotics yesterday. Giving her pills is easy - just throw them in with her kibble and she inhales them without a thought!

Allie's just a pretty easygoing dog so far. She would be first in and out the door if I let her, but other than that she's not pushy at all, nor is she inconsiderate of the other dogs. She doesn't get in their face. If she can do well here she'll probably do well anywhere.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Ah, Allie! I fell in love with you at the kennels. You really are little Miss Personality. You are just so dear. If folks want a really fantastic hound, they will ask to meet you. If I didn't already have a house full I would have smuggled you out of the kennels the night I met you.

And, girl, you have lucked into a fantastic foster home. I know you will enjoy your stay.